The Wallace Guest House is located only half block off historic Main Street where you can enjoy shopping, antiquing, dining, and entertainment.
Adam R. Johnson Home
Located at 404 S. Water Street, the home is of the founder of Marble Falls. Built in 1960 and constructed with hand hewn stone and logs. The high windows and thick walls were designed for protection from Indians.
Brandt Badger House
Brandt Badger was a veteran of the Confederate Army, moved to Burnet from Gonzales in 1885, and in 1887, helped found Marble Falls. He built this house in 1888 of granite from nearby Granite Mountain. The stones were cut from quarry rubble remaining after the "shaping" of the blocks for the State Capitol Building. The structure has 8 rooms and 6 fireplaces. Badger lived in the house until his death, and it was owned by the family until 1943. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974.
This 1937 project is considered the longest multi-arched dam in the USA.
This now private residence is located at 603 7th Street. The daughter of the founder of Marble Falls, Juliet Johnson Christian, and her husband built this home in 1892. Ivo B. & Mina Matern bought the house in 1908 and owned it for 51 years. Mr. Matern served as Mayor of Marble Falls in 1937. A fine Victorian house, it exhibits Queen Anne style influences including decorative woodwork and bay windows.
One of several buildings restored, the 1849 Fort was once home to a power house, and blacksmith’s shop. Now it is a Burnet museum with ground tours.
Fox Memorial Marker
A monument overlooking the Colorado River and the scenic Hill Country. It is dedicated to Oscar J. Fox, composer of the classic popular song, "Hills of Home." It is located in a roadside park on U.S. 281, just south of Marble Falls, Texas.
A marker is located on RR 1431 one mile west of Marble Falls and serves to commemorates the 866 foot dome of solid pink granite. The rock covers 180 acres and contains the largest quarry of its kind in the United States. Quarrying began in Marble Falls, Texas in the 1880s for construction of the Texas Capitol. An unending flow of the superb material has continued ever since, yet the bulk of the dome has hardly been diminished. Visitors are not admitted to the quarry area. A special railroad line was built to haul the granite to Austin when the rock was used to build the state Capitol. At the time of the construction, all of the tab miners working on the Granite Mountain were convicts. You can get a good view of the mountain as you walk up J Street toward 2nd.
Governor O.M. Roberts House
Governor Robert was president of the 1861 secession convention and a confederate officer. He served as governor of Texas from 1879 to 1883, and was later a professor of law at the University of Texas. Roberts settled in this house at Third and Main Streets after his retirement in 1893. The structure was later moved to its present locations at 819 7th Street.
The Hardin-Ussery House
106 West Castlewood Street
Hills of Home Memorial
This marker commemorates Oscar J. Fox, composer of the famous song, "The Hills of Home". It is located on US 281 up the hill south of the Colorado River. This is the view which inspired Fox to write his beautiful song.
Marble Falls Factory Site
This site is on US 281, just north of the Colorado River bridge. The potential of water power on the Colorado River led town developer, General Adam R. Johnson, and Farmers Alliance members to build a cotton mill on this site in the 1890's. The two-story stone factory, 300 feet long and 100 feet wide, was erected for the Marble Falls Cotton and Woolen Company, formed in 1892. New machinery, which was run by hydro-electric power, was installed at the factory by the Marble Falls Textile Mills Company during the 1920's. Woolen goods, surgical gauze and air conditioners were made at the site until the factory was gutted by fire in 1964 and razed in 1971.
Marble Falls Alliance University
Adam Rankin Johnson made plans for Marble Falls Alliance University in February 1890. J. A. Ramsdell was first president, and money was borrowed from S. A. Posey and the Marble Falls Mining and Improvement Company to build a main building and a boys' dormitory on land deeded by Johnson. The school was not self-supporting and was sold at a sheriff's sale to the mining company, which later sold it to the Marble Falls Land and Power Company. The Marble Falls common school district then rented the property for $100 a year and continued the boarding school, renamed Marble Falls Academy, on a tuition basis. When academy funds were exhausted the public school system bought the property, on May 16, 1908. In 1940 the main building was being used for the elementary school at Marble Falls.
Marble Falls Depot
In 1893, the depot was erected on a lot of land deeded by the Texas Mining and Improvements Company, for the Austin and Northwestern Railroad. Later it was purchased by Southern Pacific Railroad. It closed in 1968 until a local businessman donated it to the Chamber of Commerce and City. It’s presently located at 801 Hwy 281.
Michel's Drug Store
This marker commemorates the state's longest serving drug store. The Michel family still owns and operates the store, which offers everything from old fashioned fountain sodas to clothing and perfume. The store was first established in 1891 at its present location, 216 Main Street.
Otto Ebeling House
Banker Otto Ebeling built this Victorian residence for his wife Emilie Giesecke and their four children shortly after moving to Marble Falls. The structure, located at 601 Avenue F, has served as a nursing home, a photographic studio and a private residence
The Roper House
This double gallery hotel was constructed by George C. and Elizabeth Roper around 1888. It is located at 707 Third Street and was later named the Central Hotel and then the Francis Hotel. During the early 1980's, the building was home to a restaurant and presently as a professional office building. The tenants are welcoming to tourist when asked to see the building.